In honor of Nurse Practitioner's Week, I wanted to share an article about the benefits that experiential learning has specifically for medical practitioners.
These 5 advantages of experiential learning were written by Robert Kerner of Northwell Health and their full write up can be found here.
1. Ability to immediately apply knowledgeExperiential learning is an opportunity for learners to apply what they’ve been taught to solve real-world challenges. Learners test their understanding of underlying principles, processes and procedures and can experiment and adapt their practice to achieve best outcomes.
2. Access to real-time coaching and feedbackAchieving expertise requires practice and focused coaching based on what is observed during practice. Every experiential learning activity should include a debriefing session where learners receive feedback and coaching from experts and fellow team members.
3. Promotion of teamwork and communication skillsMost errors in health care involve a breakdown in communication and teamwork. Because the care of patients is provided in a team, we should learn and practice in teams. Reading a book or listening to a lecture does not provide the same experience. You have to do it!
4. Development of reflective practice habitsThe gold standard in education is the person who can self-monitor the effectiveness of his plan, anticipate outcomes and develop contingency plans. We often refer to these people as “experts.” They are expert because they have had more experiences and have received more coaching than a non-expert and have incorporated certain thinking disciplines into everyday practice. Experiential learning helps accelerate the journey from novice to expert.
5. Accomplishments are obviousLearners can improve, and know they have improved, in as little as an hour because of the feedback loop created by problem solving, feedback and practicing again. In a traditional classroom setting, learners often do not know if they are on the path to success until they take an exam and get a score.
I'm so proud to be the creator and facilitator a tool that allows participants to receive the benefits of these advantages.